For utmost comfortability and convenience, it’s essential that you take into consideration the tightness and fitness of your climbing shoes. The question most people commonly ask, especially beginners, is how tight should their rock climbing shoes be?
Interestingly, choosing a climbing shoe is more than just going to the store to pick the best shoe. Other factors determine how your legs fit into your climbing shoes. And if you take these factors into proper consideration, you won’t have a hard time choosing the best climbing shoes for your legs.
These factors include:
- Take note of the materials used in making the shoes.
- The shape of the shoe.
- Be open to professional tips
The aforementioned factors contribute significantly to the tightness and fitness of your rock climbing shoes. Still interested in knowing how tight your rock climbing shoes should be? Then let’s consider these factors for better clarification.
Take note of the materials used in making the shoes
As earlier stated, the materials used in making the shoes contribute to how tight, fitted, and comfortable a climbing shoe is. I’ll explore the different materials used in making rock climbing shoes. From the knowledge of this, you’d know that you can regulate the tightness and fitness of your climbing shoes.
Shoes made out of leather materials tend to stretch after a given period. This means that it can be tight fitted at first but it’ll stretch and become a bit loose after some time. What are the benefits of climbing shoes made out of leather?
- You won’t have to suffer pain or hurt for the period you’d be using the shoe. And that is only if you weren’t opportune to get the best fit in the first place.
- If the climbing shoe was a good fit, in the beginning, that means it will stretch eventually with continual usage.
The trick when choosing a climbing shoe made out of leather material is to choose one that when it eventually stretches, still fits your feet and gives you the best climbing experience.
Climbing shoes made out of this material have the benefit of not stretching out with time. This means that for the period you’d be using it, it won’t stretch and it’ll maintain its original shape. What this means is that you’ll have to make the best choice if you want to get value for your money.
With rock climbing shoes made out of this material, the only downside is you not making the right choice of the best fit when purchasing it.
The shape of the shoe
If you want to know how tight your rock climbing shoe should be, then you need to take into consideration the shape of the shoe. This determines how it fits and how comfortable it is for your feet. There are different shapes of climbing shoes and they are:
Climbing shoes with a neutral profile have a flat surface and this makes it easy for beginners. Because the shoe already has a sole that can lay flat on any surface, it has become relatively easier for beginners to get the best climbing shoes. With this, you can dictate how tight you want your climbing shoes to be.
Climbing shoes with this profile are designed to be filled out by the big toe and the edges of the feet especially. This makes it easier to have a good grip on the rocks with your toes. As a plus, this type of shoe is designed to last for longer, climb as many rocks, and cover many hikes. When choosing this shape of the shoe, be mindful of the size. Ensure it’s your exact size because it is already designed to fit the feet perfectly.
Shoes with this shape are made to give the climber a kind of jump power. That is, it can give the climber a boost after stepping on a rock. This one is mostly used by professional climbers.
Be open to professional tips
When asked, many professionals have a lot to say about how to go about choosing the best climbing shoes that fit your legs. This is fine, but remember that the main aim is how your leg fits in the shoe. That should be your topmost priority. Since you’re the one who’ll put it on, you’d also be the one to know where the shoe pinches. So when taking into consideration professional tips, choose the best that suits your comfort. For easy clarification, I’ve narrowed down the essential professional tips to consider below:
- Climbing shoes are designed to give you the best climbing experience, so when choosing, choose one that doesn’t hurt your feet.
- According to professionals, beginners often pick cracked climbers and shoes with a flat sole.
- Shoes with laces can be adjusted. That is, if the shoe isn’t convenient for you, you can adjust the tightness from the lace.
- Know the difference between women’s climbing shoes and men’s climbing shoes. They are designed differently, so picking the wrong one will cause inconvenience.
- Shoes indeed stretch but that doesn’t apply to the length. Avoid inconveniencing your feet with the belief that the shoe will stretch eventually.
- It is scientifically proven that our feet tend to get bigger towards the climax of the day. That is the best time to test out a new climbing shoe.
- When you get your climbing shoes, try out different movements with it to know where it hurts.
- Although the main purpose of choosing the best climbing shoe is to find one that fits perfectly and doesn’t cause any hurt or pain to the leg. But then, be mindful of too much space in the shoe. If your feet don’t grip the shoe properly, then you’re liable to accidents as you climb.
- Lastly, try as many shoes as you can. That way, you can have access to a variety of shoe choices.
Are you bothered about how tight your climbing shoes should be? Simply apply the tips mentioned above and take into consideration the other factors and you’d find it easy picking the rock climbing shoe with the best fit.
Furthermore, to get the best climbing experience, your climbing shoes don’t necessarily have to be super tight. It is right to get a tight climbing shoe but note that if it’s too tight, you will suffer hurt and your purpose of purchasing a rock climbing shoe will be defeated.